Saturday, August 25, 2012

LaLanne Summer Throwdown

Today I went to LaLanne to participate in the summer throwdown. There were about 35 individual girls in the RX group, including many who beat me in the 2012 open. It was my time to just go out there, enjoy myself and give everything I have, and hope to come out on top. Things did not go exactly as I had hoped. The programming seemed fair, of course there are some things I would have changed, just like in any other competition. There was A LOT of squatting!!!!!!!! Here are the events and how I did:


Event 1:
AMRAP in 12 min
40 DL @ 115#
30 burpees
20 Shoulder to OH @ 115#
10 Squat Cleans  @ 115#
results: 170 reps (6th place)
My Plan: 1st round DL 25/15, burpees slow and consistent, shoulder to overhead in 2 maybe 3 sets, squat clean singles
What actually happened: DL 25/15, burpees slow and consistent, shoulder to overhead in 4/5/5/3/3, cleans singles, second set of DL in 5 to 7 reps and died on the last set of burpees. 
Toughest part: burpees, had flashbacks of 12.1 :(

Event 2:
4 min clock
10 squat snatches @95#
then amrap in remaining time OHS @95#
results: 47 reps (2nd place)
My plan: snatches in singles, then amrap minus 3, rest 20 sec for the remaining time
What Actually happened: Saw some people doing singles and it took way too long, so I did the snatches 5/4/1 and straight into OHS my sets for OHS were 10, 10, 10, 7. This was a good event for me and went exactly how I wanted it to go.

Event 3:
AMRAP in 2 min:
Squat Jumps with 65# barbell on your back
Results: 55 reps (14th place)
Plan: Go at a consistent pace, fight through the burn
What Actually Happened: Went at a relatively consistent pace, pausing a couple times to shake out the legs. The issue is I am too tall, and height does make a big difference in a short event like this.... and my quads suck. My quads were cramping badly after event 2, I was not sure how I was going to do here, I did okay but not good enough and I think this is where I lost the competition, I was in 2nd leading up to this event.

Event 4:
4 min Mary
5 HSPU
10 alt Pistols
15 Pull ups
results: 3 rds plus 10 pistols (4th place)
This event went straight into event 5

Event 5:
2 min shuttle run across the gym
Results: 16 lengths (7th place)

Plan: My plan was to go hard in Mary and see what I had left for the shuttle run
What Actually Happened: Went hard in Mary for 3:45, then took the 15 seconds off to go to the shuttle run, probably should have done a few pull ups so I could have gotten 3rd place in Mary. All my sets were unbroken in Mary, except my 3rd set of HSPU because I got no repped on my 5th so I had to kick back up and do another.... I was pretty beat up by the time of the shuttle run, breathing and muscular fatigue set in, shuttle run was terrible.

Overall: 5th
Thoughts: Felt like I did well in the true crossfit events, and glad I competed in a local competition. If I want to be competitive I will need to do better than 5th, but I tried my hardest and that is where I placed for today. Onto the next phase of training, getting ready for the OPTathlon now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment